A mid-level course addressing the selection of engineering materials based on static and dynamic loadings, environmental analysis and the experimental analysis of mechanical systems. Emphasis on metals and composite materials
- Identify mechanical properties and the characteristics of elastic behavior for material types.
- Calculate the stress and strain configuration at a point for a specific loading arrangement.
- Transform plane stress and strain configurations and identify principal stress and Principal Axes.
- Use the appropriate failure criteria for diverse situation and/or materials (elastic behavior only).
- Design prismatic beams.
- Determine the deflection at any point of a beam, given the loading and end conditions.
- Determine the load, shear and moment diagrams for a beam given the loading and end conditions.